Commercial Software

Matthias Kirschner mk at fsfe.org
Tue Mar 15 08:46:37 UTC 2011

* Theo Schmidt <theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch> [2011-03-15 09:24:06 +0100]:

> Matthias Kirschner schrieb:
> > Would anyone here disagree that software is commercial as soon as people
> > are paid to develop it?
>
> Yes, I would disagree. People can and do develop free software as part of their
> jobs, e.g. the Linux kernel. This doesn't make the software commercial per se.

Why isn't it commercial software, when a company sees commercial
interest and pays for the development of the software? When would you
say that something is commercial software?

> Well you have made my head spin and I havn't a clue!

Sorry about that.

Regards,
Matthias

--
Matthias Kirschner - Fellowship Coordinator, German Coordinator
Free Software Foundation Europe (fsfe.org)