Re: OpenERP Webclient proprietär

Alexandre Dulaunoy adulau at foo.be
Tue Sep 28 13:25:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Wouter Tebbens <wouter at freeknowledge.eu> wrote:

> Here's a quote from the FLOSSresearch project:
> "Open Core (previously called “split Free Software/proprietary” or
> “proprietary value-add”): this model distinguishes between a basic Free
> Software and a proprietary version, based on the Free Software one but
> with the addition of proprietary plug-ins."

A small side note, "Open Core"[1] terminology is really misleading on two
aspects :

- A lot of companies are releasing some free software and they often claim
that is their "core infrastructure". It's often an exaggerated statement and
only contains some minor elements of an overall proprietary software.
It's often much more behind but they only use free software as a marketing tool.

- The terminology is leading to confusion with the "OpenCores"[2] project
which is really following the principle of 4 freedoms for their hardware
design.

IMHO, the "Open Core" terminology should be avoided.

adulau

[1] http://alampitt.typepad.com/lampitt_or_leave_it/2008/08/open-core-licen.html
[2] http://opencores.org/  - http://opencores.org/projects

--