OpenERP Webclient proprietär

Wouter Tebbens wouter at freeknowledge.eu
Mon Sep 27 15:41:20 UTC 2010

Hi there!
On 09/27/2010 04:58 PM, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 23. September 2010 01:16:39 schrieb David Gerard:

> I have no good reference for neo-proprietary at hand.
> I've meant that those companies are advertising a "free software" edition
> and they have a lot of proprietary extensions. Often you only get support
> for the proprietary stuff.

> Your description matches some of the symptoms, but it does not seem to be
> enough to let a reader decide which is "neo-proprietary" or not.
>
>>> In the case of SugarCRM, isn't it about "Open Core"?
>>> Just a guess,
>>
>> The name changes, the concept remains the same ;-)
>
> Yes, some people seems to call stuff "open core". I also do not have a good
> explanation for that term at hand. Just two observations: the "neo"
> in "neo-proprietary" does not seem to fit perfectly, this proprietary
> business modell seems to be quite old. Often it went by "dual licensing".
> "Open Core" is giving readers the wrong idea, as it sounds positive,
> but I have only found uses where it was actually a proprietary business,
> not a Free Software based one.
Here's a quote from the FLOSSresearch project:
"Open Core (previously called “split Free Software/proprietary” or
“proprietary value-add”): this model distinguishes between a basic Free
Software and a proprietary version, based on the Free Software one but
with the addition of proprietary plug-ins."

http://guide.flossmetrics.org/index.php/6._FLOSS-based_business_models

Note that Dual licensing is actually a different model, though also an
effort to make business around proprietary software.

Fortunately, the "open core" form of locking people into proprietary
hooks accounts only for 52 out of 451 of the free software projects that
they researched, and the dominant model is "fully free software".

best,
--
Wouter Tebbens