OpenERP Webclient proprietär

Bernhard Reiter reiter at fsfeurope.org
Mon Sep 27 14:58:50 UTC 2010

Am Donnerstag, 23. September 2010 01:16:39 schrieb David Gerard:
> On 22 September 2010 22:51, Hugo Roy <hugo at fsfe.org> wrote:

I have no good reference for neo-proprietary at hand.
I've meant that those companies are advertising a "free software" edition
and they have a lot of proprietary extensions. Often you only get support
for the proprietary stuff.

> >> Technically free software that isn't in practical application, I'd
> >> think.

Your description matches some of the symptoms, but it does not seem to be
enough to let a reader decide which is "neo-proprietary" or not.

> > In the case of SugarCRM, isn't it about "Open Core"?
> > Just a guess,
>
> The name changes, the concept remains the same ;-)

Yes, some people seems to call stuff "open core". I also do not have a good
explanation for that term at hand. Just two observations: the "neo"
in "neo-proprietary" does not seem to fit perfectly, this proprietary
business modell seems to be quite old. Often it went by "dual licensing".
"Open Core" is giving readers the wrong idea, as it sounds positive,
but I have only found uses where it was actually a proprietary business,
not a Free Software based one.

Best,
Bernhard

--
FSFE -- Deputy Coordinator Germany                            (fsfeurope.org)
Your donation makes our work possible:  www.fsfeurope.org/help/donate.en.html