mailing list misbehaving...

Cristian Rigamonti rigamonti at fsfeurope.org
Fri Mar 12 13:06:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 08:55:18PM +0100, Reinhard Mueller wrote:

> My understanding was that the email didn't ask you to resubscribe, but
> to confirm your existing subscription. When you log into your mailman
> settings for the list, there is a checkbox somewhere that says "delivery
> disabled", and you have to uncheck it.
>
> After the last mail you should be able to resubscribe, since AFAIU you
> are not not subscribed any more.

Yes, this is the standard mailman procedure for excessive bounces: the address
is first disabled from delivery (but not unsubscribed), and 3 weekly reminders
are sent; if bouncing persists you are automatically unsubscribed.

(BTW I've manually re-subscribed on 9 March the 6 @gnu.org addresses that were
automatically unsubscribed in the morning).

> Concering the reasons of the bounces, I can't give you further details,
> but I hope our sysadmin will be able to look at this shortly.

I guess the gnu.org mailserver had some trouble in late February early March
(@gnu.org users: can you confirm?), because the bounce configuration parameters
for this list are set to default values; anyway I'll have a closer look at them,
please report any other problems you might find to system-hackers at fsfeurope.org
Thanks!

Cri

--
SysAdmin  +  Italian team    []      Free Software Foundation Europe
Get active!                [][][]    http://fsfe.org/contribute
OpenPGP Key-Id: 0x943A5F0E           XMPP: cri at jabber.fsfe.org