Ubuntu's not GNU/Linux?

Paul O'Malley ompaul at eircom.net
Tue Apr 20 06:16:51 UTC 2010

On 04/19/2010 09:08 PM, Carsten Agger wrote:

> Seriously, now: When you buy in a web store, do you have the four freedoms
> with the software you use to buy your stuff?  If not, you shouldn't be
> using them by your own standards.
>

> However, why should Amazon let you change the code running on their
> servers? The software they use could still be free software, but when
> you're buying stuff from them (or from the FSF or FSFE, for that matter),
> *you* do not have the four freedoms, since you're not really the user of
> the software, Amazon (or the FSF or FSFE) is.

It is not about changing that specific code, it is the ability to build
on that.
The basis of the argument is I should have access to the source code
that made your build, not the build itself or the dev box etc, perhaps
it would good to visualise it as "Click here if you want to find out how
we did this" and you get a tarball or some such.

P.