Similar discussion list but not only for Europe?

"Andrés G. Aragoneses" aaragoneses at novell.com
Sat Mar 7 00:26:54 UTC 2009

Hello Ben, thanks for your answer. See inline:

Ben Finney wrote:
> "Andres G. Aragoneses" <aaragoneses at novell.com> writes:
>
>> Hello there. Is there a similar discussion list as this one, but
>> global?
>
> That would make sense only if the specific jurisdictions affecting
> software freedom were global. Despite the ongoing efforts of the
> “intellectual property” cabal to “harmonise” jurisdictions
> world-wide on their vision of property, that remains not the case.

Good point.

However in my case I'm wondering if it makes more sense to first bring
up the concepts of the license at a global level, and then later discuss
details about jurisdictions differences. It's not difficult to
understand, because it just requires some alterations to the current GPL
license (I will provider a sort of a "diff").

>> My particular interest is to talk about a draft of a new license I
>> want to propose (similar to the AGPL, in the sense that has only
>> small variations, but important ones for the niche I'm thinking of).
>
> Since the issues of a copyright license need to be discussed in terms
> of specific copyright jurisdictions, it seems best to bring it up in
> each one.
>
> First, though, is the question of license proliferation. It's widely
> recognised to be a bad idea to make new licenses for free software,
> instead of choosing existing ones that have been examined over many
> years and are known to be relatively trouble-free.

I'm aware of the license proliferation problem, and mainly that's the
reason why I'm here pushing this instead of encouraging some companies
that I'm in contact with to create licenses on their own. I think it
makes more sense for them to embrace a common license, and much better
if it's blessed by the FSF, instead of each one adopting a very similar one.

--

Andrés G. Aragoneses
Software Engineer
aaragoneses at novell.com