Stallman: cloud computing is a trap

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Oct 6 16:54:08 UTC 2008

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams at gnu.org> wrote:
> Just because _you_ don't have the soruce code to something, does not
> mean that something is non-free software.  While there are issues of
> privacy, it does not mean that for examople FSD is running on non-free
> software.

Pragmatically, what is the difference?  It may be under a free
software licence, but "Access to the source code is a precondition"
for "The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
needs" and "The freedom to improve the program, and release your
improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits".
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-sw.html

I don't care much if something is theoretically free software under
copyright law if it's not practically free software.

Back tomorrow,
--
MJ Ray (slef)