firefox, iceweasel, burningdog, icecat, ...

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 14:34:02 UTC 2008

2008/11/3 Alessandro Rubini <rubini at gnudd.com>:
> Yavor Doganov:

>> Users who switch to free software for non-philosophical reasons (like
>> the company I work for, or my uncle) cannot possibly defend the cause
>> or keep up the community, because they're ready to trade away the
>> freedoms they have (because, as you say, they don't realize them and
>> don't value them).

> However, in my experience people realize their freedom once they have it.

As far as I can tell it usually takes them being screwed over at least
once to realise that freedom is actually important. This is why
"DRM-free" is now a positive marketing term for reaching non-technical
users, e.g. http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/20070705-00

The general public seem willing to sacrifice some freedom for
convenience - e.g. iTunes, XP, Flash - but *not too much* - e.g.
Vista.

I suggest the most useful practical thing at present is to promote
free elements wherever possible, e.g. Firefox on Windows is the
gateway drug to Firefox on GNU/Linux: using Firefox on an Eee is
identical to using it on Windows.

Maintaining a firm position is useful, but behaving as though those
less pure than oneself should be expelled is ... counterproductive.

- d.