firefox, iceweasel, burningdog, icecat, ...

Alessandro Rubini rubini at gnudd.com
Mon Nov 3 20:34:08 UTC 2008

Yavor Doganov:
> Users who switch to free software for non-philosophical reasons (like
> the company I work for, or my uncle) cannot possibly defend the cause
> or keep up the community, because they're ready to trade away the
> freedoms they have (because, as you say, they don't realize them and
> don't value them).

However, in my experience people realize their freedom once they have it.

If you are used to lock-in, as a "technological feature" as they sell
it, you are not trying to escape it. However, even if you switch to
free software for non-philosophical reasons, you later realize what it
means; and over time you may understand why your using flash is a
problem, both for you and for society.  So turning
completely-locked-in people to non-completely-free users is still a
win for the movement, in my opinion.

I myself were looking for a low-cost unix back then, and install this
strange "linucs" thing only because it costed nothing. Only later I
appreciated what it implied, and I finally understood what rms was saying,
even if I've been reading it before.

/alessandro