GFDL 1.3

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Mon Nov 3 16:55:15 UTC 2008

I made a comment on IRC about this, so I may as well vent here as well:

    <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-1.3.html>

I'm not a big fan of these new extra permissions clauses, but limiting
them by date so that only our special friends can make use of them seems
peverse. Both GPLv3 and now GFDLv1.3 have them now, with dates that are
back-dated before the publication of the licenses.

Presumably they're back-dated because we don't want other GFDL material
to suddenly become CC-BY-SA just by posting it on a wiki, but that - to
me - kind of points out the antithetical nature of this modification to
the spirit of the original license.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Alex.