Article: "Fixing linux" - opinions?

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Fri Dec 12 14:21:16 UTC 2008

   @Rui Miguel Silva Seabra:

   I clearly see that you didn't get my point. Furthermore, your
   arguments and choice of language are neither helpful nor mature.

I must agree.

   Unfortunately, you've missed that I wasn't complaining - I'm
   looking for answers and reasonable arguments to present to others
   who stumble across these things and do not have time or the
   technical background to understand - or even fix - it.

To be honest, I am not sure what kind of answers you are looking for.
Sam Liddicott did answer specific points, but as you say, people with
little or no technical background will not understand them.

Many of the points raised in the article are points that a user will
not see anyway.  RPM or DEB? Not relevant, as long as there is a nice
GUI that the user can use.  Same thing for configuration files, all
new users use GNOME or similar.  You get a point and clickity
interface for that.

I would say that the author of the article is nit picking, and hasn't
raised any valid points.  So I atleast cannot find what you wish to
have answered.  Maybe if you could ask something a bit more specific,
then we could be in a position to have a better discussion.

Cheers, Alfred.