GPL License with clause for Web use?

Hannes Hauswedell hannes at fsfe.org
Thu Nov 22 20:08:23 UTC 2007

Am Mittwoch 21 November 2007 15:53:47 schrieb MJ Ray:
> Ciaran O'Riordan <ciaran at fsfe.org> wrote: [...]
>
> > You don't need permission from the copyright holder to let someone
> > use your laptop for a few minutes.  No more than you do for letting
> > that person read your newspaper for a few minutes.
>
> While the newspaper-borrowing is now well-established, I think the
> computer-borrowing one is a more recent change... by default,
> copyright law tends to deny things.  It's not so long ago that
> permission to backup software was added to English law.
>
> I'm disappointed by the refusal to discuss physical
> computer-borrowing when AGPL is about restricting network-based
> computer-borrowing.
>
> Regards,

The AGPL is not about borrowing computers, or using some software at
someone else's house, its about network access.
If I develop this super-cool AJAX Web2.0 Future-Application and provide
the source-code, THAN I WANT other poeple to have access to
modifications. If you take that code and add some extra-features and
get a deal with google that they integrate it with GMail, I WANT
GMail-users to know, that they are using free software, I WANT them to
get Source-Code access and I WANT them to have the right to offer those
services themselves.
The AGPL provides for this, the GPL doesnt. If you make your business of
Application Services and don't want your users to get the code, than
you are working against the common goal of software freedom and social
solidarity.

Regards,
Hannes
--