Relevance of this post? Re: Jonathan Parr presents www.libeldefense.com

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Nov 2 17:55:32 UTC 2007

simo <simo.sorce at xsec.it> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 14:22 +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Please do *NOT* put a bloody eyetest on this mailing list.  [...]
>
> No need to jump on the chair, there are captchas (maybe they have a
> different name I don;t care too much about the acronym of the day) that
> just ask you a smart question that requires a brain to answer. [...]

Sorry - I've seen too many people thoughtlessly go "ok, we need a
captcha, so let's find an eyetest" so I go in with both boots hard now.

I don't think much of the question ones either: they often test things
like numeracy, memory, spelling or browser privacy settings by
accident, which again may not stop people being useful contributors to
mailing lists.

> > I believe the best test would be to put new members on moderation-hold
> > until they make some sensible posts.  [...]
>
> It's a catch-up game, this system will give us some more months without
> requiring stricter moderation of the list (expensive).

As long as you keep on using default-permit, it will always be a
catch-up game.  Unless FSFE's mailman has been extensively hacked
over, we have the resources *today* to put new members on
moderation-hold until they make a sensible post.  While not as good as
Sam's idea, it seems less expensive than installing some captcha.

Regards,