Relevance of this post? Re: Jonathan Parr presents www.libeldefense.com

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Fri Nov 2 16:02:40 UTC 2007

* MJ Ray wrote, On 02/11/07 14:22:
> simo <simo.sorce at xsec.it> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 11:40 +0100, Reinhard Mueller wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, he is. And more than that, he is one of the modern spam bots that
>>> is able to subscribe to mailman mailing lists. :-(
>>>
>>> If this problem gets worse, we have to think about a solution.
>>>
>> Captcha on subscribe, it's becoming necessary :(
>>

> Please do *NOT* put a bloody eyetest on this mailing list.  That will
> almost certainly lock out people like me, while allowing in some
> robots with visual-recognition code.  If you want to test spamminess,
> then eyesight and hearing have little to do with that.  If anything,
> I suspect spammers probably average better on eyesight and hearing
> tests than the general population these days ;-) I have met one user
> who read by touch, with solenoids pushing on fingers and I think I've
> seen braille strip output devices in the past - why should we lock
> such people out or give them second-class service unnecessarily?

Not a lot of people think about that; being focussed on how to deny
access rather than grant it (which is often never thought about).
> I believe the best test would be to put new members on moderation-hold
> until they make some sensible posts.  (Ultimately, who cares if it's a
> bot if it's posting relevant stuff? ;-> )  Shouldn't the FSFE be
> following best practice instead of false sense of security?
> http://www.w3.org/TR/turingtest#security

Makes sense to me.

Many forum-ish things have level of member ship.

If any level member can grant kudos to a lowlier member, such as by
approving posts (until they are high enough to be self approved) then we
may have a low-effort system.

Sam