examples of free software in the public administration

Patrick Ohnewein patrick.ohnewein at lugbz.org
Wed Feb 14 08:57:10 UTC 2007

Am Mittwoch, 14. Februar 2007 05:40 schrieb Ciaran O'Riordan:
> Just for a source of ideas, I'm trying to build a list of examples of
> governments using free software on a large scale.

What do you mean with large scale?

South Tyrol uses Free Software at a larger scale:

The public administration uses OpenOffice.org since the mid of 2005. Even not
exclusively. This was one step in line with the action plan to the South
Tyrolean Information Society:

http://www.provinz.bz.it/specials/esuedtirol/index_d.htm#k13

All servers in the comuns use GNU/Linux and on the client they use
OpenOffice.org.

http://www.cocos.bz.it/sezione/best-practice/best-practice-gemeindenverband/

All italian speaking schools (from the first class to the collage) use
GNU/Linux (project FUSS)

http://www.fuss.bz.it

The public transport company at South Tyrol uses Free Software since 1993:

http://www.cocos.bz.it/sezione/best-practice/best-practice-sad/

Happy hacking!
Patrick