examples of free software in the public administration

Stefano Maffulli stef at zoomata.com
Wed Feb 14 09:59:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 04:40 +0000, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> Just for a source of ideas, I'm trying to build a list of examples of
> governments using free software on a large scale.  Does anyone know of list,
> and/or a list of articles about big public sector installations?

I can quote Italy where 80% of PA datacenters run free software.  What
that

For those reading Italian, the national counsil for IT in PA (CNIPA) has
an observatory of local and national experiences of using free sw:
http://www.osspa.cnipa.it/rilevazione/public_browse_quest.php

Depending on what you want to demonstrate, you can get interesting data
from the research published by the EU
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/ict/policy/doc/2006-11-20-flossimpact.pdf
I have stopped trying to gather experiences in PA because there are too
many to count.

bye
stef