Kernel developers' position on GPLv3

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at vrijschrift.org
Sat Sep 23 12:47:21 UTC 2006

At Sat, 23 Sep 2006 15:12:33 +0300,
Yavor Doganov wrote:

> Shane M. Coughlan wrote:
> >
> > Why don't we devote a little time to that?
>
> It is pointless to do that, I'm afraid.  These people can't be
> persuaded in our cause and it's just a waste of time and efforts to
> even attempt to do that -- it will be ignored.  Their moto, inspired
> by their leader, is "Ideology sucks".

If we do it, we wouldn't do it to convince the Linux hackers, but to
convince people who know agree with them and might change their
opinion.

> I see two major drawbacks that result from their decision not to
> switch to GPLv3:

There is no such decision to be made. Linux has a "GPLv2 only license"
and every contributor owns the copyright to their contribution. It's
not possible to switch Linux to GPLv3 even if they want it.

Jeroen Dekkers