Kernel developers' position on GPLv3

Bjoern Schiessle schiessle at fsfe.org
Sat Sep 23 13:11:40 UTC 2006

Yavor Doganov <yavor at doganov.org> wrote:
> Also, could someone please explain this "Balkanisation" thing?  I come
> from the Balkans, but I don't understand what that means...

"Balkanization is a geopolitical term originally used to describe the
process of fragmentation or division of a region into smaller regions
that are often hostile or non-cooperative with each other."
Quoted from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkanization

So i think they mean the fragmentation of Free Software license. But
this is nothing which will happen because of GPLv3. We already have a
fragmentation of Free Software licenses and GPLv3 will make it better
not worse because GPLv3 will be compatible to more licenses than GPLv2.

Cheers,
Bjoern

--
Bjoern Schiessle                                http://www.schiessle.org