Project hosting using free software

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Oct 27 13:03:20 UTC 2006

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 07:38, Ben Finney said:

> What about Berlios?

Better don't get into the schily trap :-)

Seriously, Berlios is a project of The Fraunhofer Society; well known
for their software patent policy.  The last time I checked [1],
Berlios mentioned in their usage policy that they may in future take
the hosted code and use it for different purposes.  It has been
speculated that this might mean a hosted project grants Berlios
limited rights on the hosted software - independed of the license
used. Given the history of cdrecord, I'd keep my hands of Berlios.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

[1] This was a few years ago; at a time governmental funding for
    Berlios ran out.  I had several fist^Wface to face discussions
    with Mr. Schily about it.