Documentation vs. Software (Re: Savannah rejects a project because it uses GPL)

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Thu Feb 16 21:02:10 UTC 2006

   > Yes, since the output is static.  The output of a program isn't.

   Then a program to generate the prime numbers or calulate the digits
   of pi or whatever similar is documentation.

No, since the output, i.e. program, isn't static.  You'd have a
point[0] if you dumped the listing of prime numbers from the program,
which isn't static...

[0]: Please stop twisting words, nobody will ever claim that a list of
numbers is a document.  It is just a list of numbers.

   I think this is getting boring, although some interesting point
   have been made in the past days. Actually, you agreed to disagree a
   few days ago, why don't we just stick to that and let this thread
   rest in peace?

Cause we are hard headed hackers who do not know don't know what `give
up' means.  Agreeing to disagree doesn't mean that we should stop
trying to convince each other.

   Same about debian and non-free: everyone can demonstrate anything
   in good faith, but it's still an opinion. You can say that debian
   is non-free, but don't pretend to convince the others (and the same
   applies to the other side, as you and those sharing your opinion
   can't be convinced).

Debian is cleary non-free, there is nothing to dispute it.  It isn't
even based on a opinion.  It is simple to prove: Does the Debian
project distribute non-free programs? Of course it does, see the
non-free software section on their FTP site.