Savannah rejects a project because it uses GPL

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Fri Feb 10 15:30:17 UTC 2006

   I think MJ is well within his rights to raise this as a problem
   though - whether or not you believe the GFDL is a free licence or
   not,

It is a free license (one can modify, use, distribute works licensed
under the GFDL).  It isn't a free _software_ license.  Classifying all
licenses as `free' or `not-free' is like saying `Intellecutal
property', it can mean anything, and it can mean nothing.

   The facts seem to be pretty clear from the conversation on
   Savannah, and I hope the Savannah admin made a mistake. It doesn't
   need us to inflame the situation, though, that will only cause more
   problems. It would be better to ask someone here to investigate and
   ask the Savannah admins to make clear what their policy actually
   is, before we starting discussing whether or not their policy is
   good or bad.

Well said.