Savannah rejects a project because it uses GPL

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Fri Feb 10 12:34:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 13:24 +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    I think this is a bad week.
>
> You are starting a snowball effect without knowing the story.  First
> of all, did it occur to you maybe that someone simply made a simple
> mistake?

I think it would behoove both sides not to talk this dispute up ;)

I think MJ is well within his rights to raise this as a problem though -
whether or not you believe the GFDL is a free licence or not, and
whether or not you believe the GPL is problematic when applied to
documentation (my personal view is that it's confusing at best), I don't
see why Savannah should reject a project's documentation because it
didn't use the FDL.

The facts seem to be pretty clear from the conversation on Savannah, and
I hope the Savannah admin made a mistake. It doesn't need us to inflame
the situation, though, that will only cause more problems. It would be
better to ask someone here to investigate and ask the Savannah admins to
make clear what their policy actually is, before we starting discussing
whether or not their policy is good or bad.

Cheers,

Alex.