What free software licensing books have been published?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sat Dec 30 18:36:07 UTC 2006

Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> wrote:
> Suspecting a book is bad simply because it contains a "bad word" in the
> title is about the clearest form of judging a book by its cover that I
> can think of.

I suspect that book's bad not simply because it has a very confused
title, but also because IIRC Larry Rosen was OSI's legal counsel.
Larry Rosen encouraged licence proliferation by creating at least two
licences with extremely questionable terms (choice-of-venue in the AFL
and OSL, again IIRC), OSI's licence approval process is even worse
than FSF's (somewhat opaque) one and OSI still publishes their FUD
against "free software".  I'd probably start with the alternatives to
any book written by Larry Rosen or similar OSIer.

(Those of you who have been reading newsforge lately may know that I'm
rather irritated that SPI has recently decided to give away the
valuable opensource.org and .net domains to OSI, removing one of the
last formal community influences over OSI.  SPI's board seemed to take
a leaf out of FSF-Boston's book, with pre-decision discussions kept
out of sight - not only from the public, but from SPI's members.  If
there are any SPI members reading this who want to help, please email
me - or wade into spi-private.  If you're eligible for SPI membership:
(    * active members of SPI affiliated projects
    * active members of any large free software development project
    * any person who has made a significant contribution to the free
software community
    * any person who actively contributes to the free software
community ), please consider joining and voting for community control.)

Hope that explains,
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble.