OpenSolaris logo licence

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Sep 28 21:20:56 UTC 2005

Simon Morris <mozrat at gmail.com>
> Thank you for clarifying that. I'm sure it has been discussed many
> times before so I apologise if I'm going over well trodden ground.

It rarely comes up here. You may find that gnu.misc.discuss is
a more common place for such general discussions.

> Is the code of OpenSolaris considered free by the FSF?

I don't know and their web site just crashed. You could ask them
at licenses at gnu.org maybe.

> It is released under a number of licences but mainly the CDDL [0]. The
> OSI approves this as Open Source but does the FSF consider this to be
> an acceptable free software licence?

The CDDL is listed as a GPL-incompatible free software licence in
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses
but it's not clear which version of it was reviewed.

There is no consensus in debian that it's a free software licence.
Its specification of a venue and the restrictions it places on
related commercial support agreements are my particular worries.
You can find some more among discussion of the star package in
http://people.debian.org/~mjr/legal/dlpl0509.html

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/