German software licensing law

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Sep 27 11:57:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 18:06 +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Thanks for the responses. I think I understand them. For this
> particular time, I think it's a shame that German law permits
> English-language agreements between two Germans, in a way,
> but it probably makes things simpler overall for free software.

As frontiers dilute more and more, the need for a global language
arises.

English is probably the simplest of the most spoken languages (although
by far not the most spoken), so it would be a shame if two people on one
country couldn't make an agreement in another language because of the
law.

The law is there to help the existence of justice, so it would be
terribly unfair if there had to be a portuguese GPL for me to legally
use most free software out there.

Hence, requiring it would be unjust.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?