Linux Party [warning political]

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 11:26:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:02:41 -0500 (EST), Sid Dabster
<sid_dabster at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> See the rest of my email.

[Snip rest of previous email about MS]

OK, I agree with you there. To be honest I am a little sceptical about
the claim that 2 libraries shut purely because of MS licencing fees,
but I also hate to see public money being pumped into Microsofts bank
account when there are real alternatives. The NHS/MS contract recently
for example

> > What about Solaris on SPARC? That is a non-free OS.
> > Are you also
> > campaigning against Sun?
>
> Sun Microsystems support open systems and claim to
> be making a lot of Solaris Open Source soon.

Oooh, I don't know about that. I think Suns involvement with Open
Source is out of necessity rather than anything else.

IT trends over the past few years have been big on migration, but
interestingly not so much on the Windows vs other OS front. There
apparently seem to be roughly the same percentage of Windows vs
non-Windows OS's out there.

But what is happening is that organisations are migrating to Intel
away from other architectures. This really hurts Sun.

Given the choice I think Sun would prefer to go back to the good old
days of them selling Solaris by the truckload and maybe they wish
Linux wasn't around

With this anti-MS sentiment in this thread don't forget both the FSF
and Linux were evolved from frustration about the lack of freedom in
traditional UNIX systems, not Windows.

> That why I suggested a Free Software Party
> originally, called the Linux Party, perhaps
> Free Software Party would be better even if less
> catchy.

I agree that *something* needs to be done, and I'm glad that you are
motivated enough to do it, honestly.

However I just think that a political party is energy exerted in the
wrong direction.

Anyway, thanks

~sm