Linux Party [warning political]

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Fri Mar 18 16:35:59 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 13:02 -0500, Sid Dabster wrote:
> > What about Solaris on SPARC? That is a non-free OS.
> > Are you also
> > campaigning against Sun?
>
> Sun Microsystems support open systems and claim to
> be making a lot of Solaris Open Source soon.

Open Systems has nothing to do with Free Software.
Open Systems, ALSO, has nothing to do with Open Source.

The most likely to be a proper definition of an "open" system is a POSIX
compliant operating system.

The "source" Sun is giving out is ONLY "open source" if you are in the
context of Solaris. Use Free Software instead of Solaris, and they can
sue you for patent infringement if they think they can get away with it:
the patent promise is _only_ for Solaris context.

Suns definition of Open is you can open and look, maybe smell, but don't
you think you can touch without our approval.

> > Being Anti-MS isn't enough
>
> That why I suggested a Free Software Party
> originally, called the Linux Party, perhaps
> Free Software Party would be better even if less
> catchy.

Your reasoning for a political party is each time less honest.
In the future, anyone searching for Sid Dabster + free software might
find links to this mailing list's archives, like your mail

http://mailman.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/discussion/2005-March/004871.html

...and find such shallow sources for your motivation.

You're in a dangerous path. Dangerous because you'll likely do more harm
than any good at all. Just looking at your motivations here gives glass
feet to your party.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?