FLOSS/Linux Political Party

xdrudis xdrudis at tinet.org
Thu Mar 3 08:46:33 UTC 2005

El Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 07:36:26PM -0500, Sid Dabster deia:
> *** Proposal for a FLOSS/Linux Political Party ***
>
> I suggest a Linux Party is formed to promote the idea
> of free software (and possibly related ideas). The
> last European Election with the patent issue showed
> the relevance of politics to the free software
> movement. Voting purely on patents lead to some
> undesirable alliance partners. While as LUG Radio

what do you mean undesirable alliance partners?
The "problem" we have is that we might all agree
in some topics (although the small list you give
below would probably already raise discrepancies),
but a political party has to decide on more than
those topics. If we get together because we agree
in information policy topics and then we disagree
in taxes, social policy, security, foreign policy,
common agricultural policy, etc. it wouldn't work.

Political parties join people that have similar views
and priorities on individual freedoms, collective
freedoms, redistribution of wealth, environment,
economic policy, "world order", etc.