[kgerloff at web.de: Study about motivations of FS developers - interested?]

Matthias Kirschner mk at mbwg.de
Tue Feb 15 07:27:11 UTC 2005

Hi all,

* Matthias Kirschner <mk at mbwg.de> [2005-02-14 12:43:07 +0100]:

> Karsten send me this email. So far, I've only had the time to scan the paper.

Here some of my comments, I'll be glad if you comment because they just
came to my mind. (They differ between firms and "individual programmers".)

- What is a firm in their study? Did they sent a questionnaire to the
  executives or did they sent the questionnaire to a random sample of the
  companies employees? (For me a firm are all the individuals in this
  company.)
- Is an "individual programmer" someone who is not programming Free
  Software in his work?
- How will you recognise if someone is an "individual programmer" or is
  programming because he is paid for? I know people who use there
  private or @debian.org ;) email address even when they develop things they
  are paid for. Do you think they are asked "Are you programming this in
  your working time?".

What do you think? Perhaps I'll forward this questions to the authors?

Best wishes,
Matze