Commercial use of font with GPL licence

Lars fixedsys at moviecorner.de
Wed Oct 27 21:17:49 UTC 2004

Hello,

in IRC I got the hint to ask my questions here. Sorry for my english.

I published a true type font under GPL license. You can find it at
http://fixedsys.moviecorner.de

Today I got an email saying (free translation):
 > "we want to use your font (f.e. because of the euro sign)
 > in our pps system. Because of the GPL this is not allowed
 > for us without payment."
I don't understand what his problem is and I don't see problems with
using the font in their system if they give a text file with the GPL
license with it and install the font on the customer's system.

May this company take the font and give it away to customers if the GPL
is included and software itself makes use of the font via the OS? The
font is not included in the software then, it is not linked. It's just
installed as the customer would have downloaded it from my website.

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Lars Naber