juridical Question on software and GPL

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Fri Mar 26 16:02:33 UTC 2004

> 1) "Tudo is distributed with complete sourcecode, which is licensed as GPL."
> 2) "You can always view, edit and upgrade the code."
> 3) "For the software itself and all it's components (operatingsystem,
> databasesize etc.), there will be no royalties."

So far so good.

> 4) "For the software-package we charge you EUR 99,50"

This means only that to get the GPL'ed software you can't download it
for free, but will have to buy a software package that will give you...

> 5) "You only pay for the service for installion, support and programming."

Doesn't seem like a violation.

Selling Free Software Can Be OK!
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

In the GPL FAQ, starting at

 http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney

you can read:

Does the GPL allow me to sell copies of the program for money?
        Yes, the GPL allows everyone to do this. The right to sell
        copies  is part of the definition of free software. Except in
        one special situation, there is no limit on what price you can
        charge. (The one exception is the required written offer to
        provide source code that must accompany binary-only release.)

Does the GPL allow me to charge a fee for downloading the program from
my site?
        Yes. You can charge any fee you wish for distributing a copy of
        the program. If you distribute binaries by download, you must
        provide "equivalent access" to download the source--therefore,
        the fee to download source may not be greater than the fee to
        download the binary.

Hugs, Rui

+ So let's do it...?