juridical Question on software and GPL

Volker Sauer vsauer at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Mar 26 15:49:35 UTC 2004

Hello,

I have a question about a german software which is distributed with GPL
License:

The software is called "tudo". It seems to be sort of an ERP (Enterprise
Resource Planning) system. You'll find it at http://www.bemme.de

The author of the software says at http://www.bemme.de/index1.php

<citation>
Konsequente Offenheit
Tudo wird mit dem kompletten Quellcode ausgeliefert, der unter der GNU
General Public Licence gestellt wurde. Das garantiert Ihnen einhundert
Prozent Unabhängigkeit. Sie können jederzeit den Code einsehen,
editieren und erweitern.
<citation>

I'll try to translate this to english:

<translation>
Consequently OpenSource:
Tudo is distributed with complete sourcecode, which is licensed as GPL.
This guarantees you 100% independence. You can always view, edit and
upgrade the code.
</translation>

When you go the download section of http://www.bemme.de, you can only
download version <= 1.20 with restricted features.
On this page http://www.bemme.de/order.php you can *order* ths software
and on this page, you find the prices: http://www.bemme.de/price.php.
On the latter page, the authors tells us:

<citation>
Preise:
Für das Programmpaket berechnen wir Euro 99,50. Darin enthalten ist das
Programm Tudo mit Quellcode, Benutzerhandbuch und 30 Tage kostenlosen
Email-Support mit Zugang zum Servicebereich dieser Homepage. Die Zahlung
erfolgt per Vorkasse oder Nachnahme. Bei Vorkasse werden keine
Versandkosten berechnet. Der Zugriff auf den Servicebereich ist auf
unbegrenzte Zeit. Alle Updates sind zum freien Download verfügbar.

Für das Programm und alle seine Komponenten (Betriebssystem,
Datenbankgröße, etc.) fallen keine Lizenzgebühren an. Sie bezahlen
lediglich die Dienstleistungen für Installation, Support und
Programmierung.
</citation>

I'll try to translate:

<translation>
Prices:
For the software-package we charge you EUR 99,50. It includes the
software tudo including it's source, a manual and 30 days of charge-free
e-mail-support with access to the servicesection of this homepage. The
payment is done against prepayment or against cash-on-delivery. In case
of prepayment the delivery itself will be free of charge. The access to
the service-section will then be unrestricted forever. All future
updates are free to download.
For the software itself and all it's components (operatingsystem,
databasesize etc.), there will be no royalties. You only pay for the
service for installion, support and programming.
</translation>

I am no expert in juridical questions, so I'm sending my question the
this list and hope to get an answer from someone more familiar with this
matter.

The question is: is this in accordance with GPL?

The author of the software doesn't give the neither the software as
binary nor the sourcecode away for free-charge, but says it's GPL!?
The author says:

1) "Tudo is distributed with complete sourcecode, which is licensed as GPL."

and

2) "You can always view, edit and upgrade the code."

and

3) "For the software itself and all it's components (operatingsystem,
databasesize etc.), there will be no royalties."

but

4) "For the software-package we charge you EUR 99,50"

and

5) "You only pay for the service for installion, support and programming."

Despite that 3) and 5) are a contradiction in terms, I'm not quite sure,
if this license the author distributes the software under is compliant
with GPL, is it?

Can anybody give a juridical evaluation!?

Many thanks in advance!
Regards
Volker

P.S.: I don't like closed source and I don't like violations of the GPL
either, that why I ask.

--
Databases and Distributed Systems Group
Email: vsauer at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de