EU Communication on the Management of Copyright and Related Rights

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Jun 16 11:58:10 UTC 2004

The consultation call is on
<URL:http://europa.eu.int/comm/internal_market/copyright/management/management_en.htm>
and repeated for the UK at
<URL:http://www.patent.gov.uk/copy/notices/2004/eurocomm.htm>. Replies
need to be in by 21 June.

What are other EU-based free software groups saying about this? I'll
copy this to a fsfeurope list. Please reply to -uk for UK specifics,
or fsfeurope for other EU states.

So, thanks to John we have the two headline points:

1. DRM must not make interop illegal (is this mentioned in the
"CEN/ISSS report on DRM standardisation and interoperability");

2. DRM must not override fair use/fair dealing provisions, or things
like the disability discrimination act (need to check EUCD Art5(2)(b)
about this).

What else do we need to address? Should we include positions on
Community-wide licensing, harmonisation of individual rights or
collective rights societies?

Need to check the references to directives 92/100/EEC and 2001/84/EC.

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.