Ownership in Software

Axel Schulz axel at schulz.ph
Wed Apr 21 22:40:50 UTC 2004

Hej!

Believe it or not I just looked into a book before I get crazy here ;-)  And now I am certain. A famous professor in this field talks exclusively about "ownership".

But what you explain to me is so sound!!! Now I am completely confused. I recognized already  that the understanding of ownership differs between you (the list members) and  me.

> You're talking about information, which is a far cry from property.

Well, but software is more than that. And if I just hold a authorship in software I would not be able to protect the "excecutable" part of the software, or?

> Copyright is only a special privilege granted to the way one expresses
> information, not the information itself.

If I follow you than copyright (in authorship) and ownership do not fit, right? But a copyright in software works like a right to "ownership", or a means "ownership", doesn't it?

> Copyright wasn't designed as a property right, quite self-consciously
> because it participates in the realm of information.

Yes, but that had to change! Consider my "information on supply" argument.

After all, I think my freedom argument is still sound. You reject it because of good reason. I stick to it.

But now I have to sleep!

Axel