World Summit on the Information Society

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Wed Mar 19 12:03:20 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 11:28, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 15:15, Imran William Smith wrote:
> > On an unrelated topic - could the FSF do something to
> > raise the profile of the risk anyone involved in shared source
> > / GSP is to further software development?  If we can make
> > companies worried to employ people with a GSP / shared source
> > history, because of possible future lawsuits from MS, then
> > programmers know it's in their personal interests to refuse
> > any GSP / shared source work.  I would like to see a question
> > on IT recruitment forms asking if you've ever done GSP / shared
> > source work worked.  Let's make these people 'untouchables'!
>
> Do you have or are there evidence that MS could file lawsuits against
> developers that read MS code?  Do you know people of governments that
> actually read the final NDA and can tell us for sure that this would be
> the case?  We need to find out for sure before we declare them
> "untouchables", otherwise we run the risk of being called "names" :)

The problem is that probably the NDA forbid to tell others details about
the NDA itself, at least the NDA on MS CIFS protocol documents seem to
be designed like that.

However the SCO vs IBM case show clearly how dangerous can be signing
NDAs without deep evaluation.

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l. - http://www.xsec.it
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
mobile: +39 329 328 7702
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399