my distribution scheme for GPLed software

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Tue Mar 4 12:51:21 UTC 2003

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 12:18:02PM +0000, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:

> The reason I don't think this will work is on accout of it's hairyness.
> I also think it goes against the some of the technical benefits of
> Free software.
>
> It adds hassle to aquiring a current copy of the source, and creates
> a financial disincentive to upgrading (the user would have to pay
> again (at some point)).

no : the CVS version will always be available.

it only adds hassle to get an "old" copy of the source, because the
CVS version is always the latest one.

but either people learn how to use CVS, or they have to pay for
the tarball (or them not willing to learn)

> He goes on to give the example of motorways, if a tool booth
> was placed half way between each junction, a very fair way to
> get drivers to pay for roads would emerge, but the roads system
> as a whole would be devalued since an artificial hassle has been
> added.  Roads should be charged for in a less invasive, equally
> accurate way such as taxing petrol.

Here there are two roads, and only one has a toll booth, the other
one is toll free.

I think this scheme is very similar to French highways : you must
pay to drive on them or you can drive on the smaller "national" road
at its side for free. The 2 or maybe 3 French highways which are
free, are free because there's no "national" road at their side
(e.g. from Clermont-Ferrand to Montpellier, for those who know
France)

Thanks a lot for your comments anyway.

Jerome Alet