Article printed

Niall Douglas s_fsfeurope at nedprod.com
Tue Jan 14 04:05:24 UTC 2003

On 14 Jan 2003 at 2:36, Xavi Drudis Ferran wrote:

> Original news story

I really really don't like companies which just patent stuff (or buy
them) and then make their living wheedling off people who actually
work for a living. A lot I think has to do with this US culture
especially of not considering the knock-on effects of permitting
something which makes a profit.

My thoughts on entrepreneurship are well known to this group by now,
but it seems to me just plain stupid that those who actively leech
off the work of others while providing none of their own should be so
encouraged (this BTW is very different from the welfare state - I
fully support a safety net for those struck by bad luck - and I also
feel no one should go without food and somewhere to sleep).

Anyway, I know we all hate software patents and many of us have
problems with the existing IP system anyway. So no more about it.

> I found no way to add this as a comment to your article. I guess it is
> a magazine, not a weblog.

It's also something they wouldn't care about - after all, it is the
premier site for UK IT contractors (one of whom I'm about to become -
moving to the UK end of month and hopefully will have work by March -
there is unfortunately just no work in Madrid! :( ).

Cheers,
Niall