Free Software and Business/Administration

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue May 14 17:27:21 UTC 2002

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 07:11:37PM +0200, Georg Jakob wrote:
> On Tue, 14 May 2002, Bernhard Reiter kindly wrote:
> > On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 06:13:38PM +0200, Georg Jakob wrote:
> > > If you talk about freedom in a sales presentation,
> > > you'll be laughed out of business quicker than you can say "GNU".
> >
> > Have you ever tried it?
>
> Yes. If they like you, you'll understand from their questions what they
> are interested in. If they do not like you, you'll get no more questions and
> the famous "You'll hear from us" that never happens...
>

> > Because you can make other experiences.

> What are your experiences in the field?
> *starving for a less pessimistic view*

Well I'm running a Free Software business.
As a service business we are oriented to help our clients with tasks.
Of course we do this according to our company ethics
(as any company, but many may not say or think so explicitely).
Many business persons are listening to the freedom arguments.

Their ability to understand is generally in relation to the ability
to relate theoretical knowledge to the real world. Especially
arguments that are made about long time frames and slowly reacting system.
There are many well known theoretical and generalised results of economics
for instance that many business people cannot really make practical use of.
If they can, their companies usually tend to be more successful...