Italian e-govt investment and aid

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Sun May 12 09:25:59 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-05-11 at 18:31, Alessandro Rubini wrote:

> > I'm in the wrong place, (and I don't speak Italian) can someone else
> > take on the task of lobbying the Italian govt on this?
>
> It's more easily said than done.  Italy is really in the thirld world
> WRT free software. We are really few people and with very minor
> connections to the parliament (and no link at all with government).
>
> I don't think this is going to introduce any more free software in the
> public arena, and I don't think we'll manage to have any voice in this.
>
> /alessandro

Alessandro is pessimist.

It is true we do not have direct connection with the government, but the
Minister do know what Free Software is, in a recent interview at a radio
station (Radio 24) he said all of "his" new e-gov site
(http://www.innovazione.gov.it) used only free software (it's not
completely true however the declaration is important IMO).

This said it is not guaranted that Free Software will be central in the
next e-government policy of the goverment, but there's more hope than 6
months ago and we have yet 2 law proposals for the introduction of free
software in the Public Administration as the preferred software to use.
Unfortunately these 2 proposals come from the opposition parties, but
there are rumors that some people in the parties the are backing the
goverment were thinking of something similar too.

regards,
Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l.
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399