EU Copyright..

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at kemisten.nu
Wed May 1 11:51:14 UTC 2002

* RIBNITZ Robert writes:
> More precisely, I am unclear about the terms Free Software and OPen
> Source Software. Do you know of any Software that is both open
> source, and non-free, or that is free, but not Open Source?

All Free Software is Open Source Software. But not all Open Source software
is Free Software.  Xv and Qt (before QPL) are for example Open Source software
but not Free software. I suggest hat you read what the FSF has to say about
this [1].

> Are theses distictions anything else than a political choice?

Yes, Free Software is based on ethical and moral principals, Open Source
software is not, it is based on pragmatism.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

--
Alfred M. Szmidt