The Hurd

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Mar 28 16:37:42 UTC 2002

On Thursday 28 March 2002  1:53 am, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:35:56PM +0000, phil hunt wrote:
> > Indeed; therefore more users for GNU software. Thanks almost entirely
> > to the popularity of GNU/Linux distributions, the GNU GPL is now the
> > mnost-copied dopcument in the world -- more copies of it exist than
> > the Bible and Koran put together.
>
> As with the Bible and with the Koran: It doesn't matter how many copies
> exists, if nobody reads them.

True. I for one have read the GPL.

> > > I think he could have done a much better job.
> >
> > You are welcome to write a better kernel yourself :-)
>
> No need to joke.  I am working on it.

That's good -- I hope you are successful.

> You can listen to one of my talks
> in summer (planned is UKUUG in Bristol and LSM in Bordeaux) on how we
> are doing it.

I may well do so.

> > Yes, Linux isn't perfect. What large piece of software in production
> > use, and hacked on by many people, is?
>
> It doesn't need to be perfect.  Quality is not a black-or-white issue.

Indeed so.

> > Why would you want a graphics driver in the kernel? Doesn't it
> > traditionally (in the Unix world) go outside?
>
> I don't want a graphics driver in the kernel.  I don't want any driver
> in the kernel, to be honest ;)  But having said that, I don't want a
> webserver in the kernel either.  But see, there is a webserver in Linux.
>  Does that make you wonder?  It should.

The khttpd webserver was added because of claims that Linux was too slow
in serving static web pages.

> > > Things like free software, user freedom, cooperation, code reuse,
> > > and compatibility are very important for the Hurd system.
> >
> > Then I hope Hurd is successful. If Hurd and Linux are both successful,
> > there will hopefully be some friendly competition between them.
>
> Well, that will surely happen.  However, what I would prefer is
> cooperation, rather than competition.

IMO a bit of both is good.

--
<"><"><"> Philip Hunt <philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk> <"><"><">
"I would guess that he really believes whatever is politically