neat story

Giovanni Biscuolo giovanni.biscuolo at milug.org
Wed Mar 20 12:25:09 UTC 2002

Il mer, 2002-03-20 alle 11:07, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra ha scritto:
> On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 09:58, Giovanni Biscuolo wrote:
> > Il mer, 2002-03-20 alle 01:56, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra ha scritto:

[...]

> > At the end of the story, succesfull companies will be those who sell
> > their competence, not program licenses. If you are not competent in (at
> > least) using and supporting a free sofware application, your customer
> > will turn to your competitors.
>
> If there is free competition yes.

In the free software market free competition is the only available
competition (as far as *they* let us work... SSCA, software patents,
etc.)

> When there isn't

Thus, in non-free software market

> you actually hold
> hostage costumers untill they realize they are being victims.

I agree.

[...]

> It's always hard to start a market!

A market isn't started. It exists.

> > > that's where he considers it unfair -- I couldn't demove him
> > > from that point of view :(
> >
> > Lets try first to convince him that seldom developers earns money by
> > selling software licensens; indeed, "The Lords of Money" (would you call
> > them smart ass companies???) makes a lot of money and don't pay the
> > developers the same way they get paid. Also, seldom developers becomes
> > "Lords of Money" ;-)
>
> Remember, I didn't say it explicitly, but it's quite obvious that this
> is a software house, of some sort. You must think like him to understand
> that: If we had made nessus [as GPL'ed software], other comeptitors
> would be able to make a lot of money without paying us.

What's the problem? They *are* able to make a lot of money with their
competitors free software, too.

...unless you are a "Lord of Money" and consider competition a burden.

> In this way of thinking, how can you argue properly?

Just pointing out that there is a *different* way of thinking.
Someone love to call it "lateral thinking".

Ciao.
--
Art and science are free and free is their teaching [IT Const., art.33]
Associazione Culturale MiLUG       | Xelera - servizi GNU/Linux
mailto:giovanni.biscuolo at milug.org | mailto:g at xelera.it