neat story

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Wed Mar 20 14:40:20 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 12:25, Giovanni Biscuolo wrote:
> Il mer, 2002-03-20 alle 11:07, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra ha scritto:

> In the free software market free competition is the only available
> competition (as far as *they* let us work... SSCA, software patents,
> etc.)

I don't agree that there are either free or non free software markets.
I think that they are both parts of the software market.
I rather free software. Most potential costumers don't even know what
free software is, so it's hard for them to break the inertia of the non
free software strongholds.

> > It's always hard to start a market!
> A market isn't started. It exists.

What I meant is that it's always hard to profit on a new market.
First, it starts slowly. Then it booms, then it implodes, and finally it
stabilizes. It's usually like that. I think we're on the first stage.
What would be desireable is to steadily grow so we don't boom (which is
fatally bounded to implosion) and so that we have a stabilized growth.

That's very hard to do!

> > Remember, I didn't say it explicitly, but it's quite obvious that this
> > is a software house, of some sort. You must think like him to understand
> > that: If we had made nessus [as GPL'ed software], other comeptitors
> > would be able to make a lot of money without paying us.
> What's the problem? They *are* able to make a lot of money with their
> competitors free software, too.

Well, IMHO, I think that its their short sighted view of a doomed
business model that blinds them to this stuff. There, I've been trying
to avoid saying this. But that is the problem. A selfish view of the
market and of user's rights.

> ...unless you are a "Lord of Money" and consider competition a burden.
> > In this way of thinking, how can you argue properly?
> Just pointing out that there is a *different* way of thinking.
> Someone love to call it "lateral thinking".

Don't you love it when they just give you a blank look in the eyes?
*sigh*

Hugs, rms

+ So let's do it...?