GPL lawsuit in Germany

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jan 25 18:22:19 UTC 2002

Joerg:
> They generally like you to transfer the Copyright to FSF wich cannot be done
> as long as you write the contract on English because this language does not
> have the right words to express the real factual situation.

Once again, "copyright" and "contract" are not the same.  Also, if you
transferred copyright to FSF, it would be fought on the terms of US law, as
that's where the publisher (ie the FSF) would be based.  Finally, if you
attempt to defend the GPL in court and fail, it would only cause a fall-back
to the standard copyright law, thanks to the self-destruct clause in the
licence.  I doubt that day will ever come.

No, you may not be able to force people to release their modifications, but
you can stop them using your copyrighted work against your stated will.
--
MJR