CD-R royalties

Eneko Lacunza eneko.lacunza at hispalinux.es
Wed Jan 16 00:05:17 UTC 2002

Hi João Miguel,

El mié, 16-01-2002 a las 00:59, João Miguel Neves escribió:
> > 	We also think that this court decission harms rights granted by Spanish
> > Constitution, and are planning action against those royalties.
> > 	I'd like to know how are things along Europe, so that we have some more
> > background on the subject.
> France, Portugal and I think Germany have the same kind of taxes.
> Belgium was preparing a tax like that, but I don't know what the status
> is there. The UK does not have such a law.
> In Spain it only includes CD-Rs ? In Portugal it includes every
> recording/copying device and blank media (which includes paper copiers,
> VCRs, diskettes, etc.).

	No. We have a law that applies that royalty to audio casettes and video
cassetes. I believe there's also a royalty on paper copiers. Magnetic
disks (any type, fixed, hard, magneto-optic, ...), backup cassettes,
DATs, ... aren't charged at all. I think that CD-R producers were paying
royalties for CD-R Audio only, and there are some other CD-R producers
in court actually.

Thanks for your info.

Regards.

--
Eneko Lacunza

  # Por un mundo con conocimiento libre #
Apoya el Software Libre - No a las patentes

http://www.hispalinux.es - http://www.es.gnome.org
http://www.fsfeurope.org - http://www.es.gnu.org