ATTN: Brasilian state aproves "opensource" law

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Sat Dec 7 09:09:54 UTC 2002

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 12:56:45AM +0100, Niall Douglas wrote:
> > So that's a restriction to *stop*you* from restricting the 4 freedoms
> > on Free Software for some users.
> Quite, and therefore not completely libre. Please - I don't care one
> way or another except that government sponsored projects should be
> BSD licence as they came from public money. I'm simply saying how
> others can see things.

GPL does *not* break any of the 4 freedoms. It is their insurance.

Lawyers from many places have studied them quite more carefully than we
probably ever could/did and they do not see any contradition with the 4
freedoms.

Please, de definition of Free here is that which is in
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Freedom does not mean freedom to do whatever you wish. My freedom to
streach my arm ends just in front of your nose.

Freedom is the right to do as we wish, as long as that right will not go
agains the rights of others.

Transforming free software into proprietary software, is not a right,
but the wish to have power of other people... in that case, you are
fully breaking the freedom of others.

Remember: freedom is for everyone, not just from me to you.

Rui