ATTN: Brasilian state aproves "opensource" law

Niall Douglas s_fsfeurope at nedprod.com
Fri Dec 6 23:56:45 UTC 2002

On 6 Dec 2002 at 23:14, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

> So that's a restriction to *stop*you* from restricting the 4 freedoms
> on Free Software for some users.

Quite, and therefore not completely libre. Please - I don't care one
way or another except that government sponsored projects should be
BSD licence as they came from public money. I'm simply saying how
others can see things.

> > Probably like any government they have misguided visions of security
> > risks if they are forced to publish source code. Pity.
>
> What do you mean? Do you think that they are forced to publish source
> code? If so, can you tell me exactly *why* would they have to publish
> code? Does the GNU GPL say that?

Again *I* know the GPL, but the average government minister will not
even after it being explained to him a dozen times. He'll hear
"restrictions" and think of it very simplistically when presented
with a totally unrestricted alternative.

Cheers,
Niall