How to promote free software

Onno Timmerman onno.timmerman at s-p-a.be
Sun Dec 1 18:34:34 UTC 2002

There where 7 politicians at the last conference. I believe 2 didn't make it and
one came at the end.

I'm afraid I gave my list to Richard Stallman.
I agree Free software should not be the main focus because it affects all
software. However the EU wants on one hand free software/open source to work.
This to put weight against the mono culture Microsoft. If they should accept
software patent then the EU is shooting it self in the foot. So its certainly a
valid argument to explain why they shooting them self in the foot.

onno

Citeren Rudy Gevaert <rudy at zeus.rug.ac.be>:

> On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 06:27:57PM +0100, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> > Yes, I agree Free Software should stay out of the picture. The damage
>
> Mr. Stallman cleary did this, he acutually said (more or less): "I
> didn't mention free software because it affect all sorts of software).
>
> But my impression is that most of the politicians do not get this:
> - the most of them do not get why the Greens are making such a big
> thing about software patents (shouldn't they be bussy caring about the
> enviroment?)
> - an other bunch of them think it is about opensource software
>
> I also attended the conference and would like to know how many
> politicians were at it.  I think most of the people in the room were
> visitors.  Also how many people have to vote this law?
>
> And also how does one get in contact with those parlmentarians?
> Surely this is easy if one is "into" politics but not everyone is into
> it ;)
>
> Rudy
> --
> Rudy Gevaert - info at webworm.org  - http://www.webworm.org
> GNU/Linux advocate - http://www.gnu.org/
>
> Imitation is the sincerest form of television.
> 				   - Fred Allen (1894-1956)

Onno Timmerman
Sp.a studiedienst (ICT)
tel 02 501.76.44