Why we speak about Free Software

Wolfgang Jährling wolfgang at pro-linux.de
Wed Apr 24 17:39:25 UTC 2002

Hi!

Jan-Oliver Wagner <jan at intevation.de> wrote:
> Yesterday I had a talk on Free Software and GIS at University of
> Münster and exactly the same statement came up from the audience.
> It is really interesting how it evolved that so many people
> think of StarOffice as Free Software.

I think that in this case, people say it's Free Software because it
shares most of its code with OpenOffice.org, which indeed is Free
Software. And at least it should be easy to switch from StarOffice to
OpenOffice.org.

But it's certainly not because people think Free Software == Freeware.

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Jährling  <wolfgang at pro-linux.de>  \\  http://stdio.cjb.net/